The original seat of the Parliament of India is a colonial-era building designed by British architects Sir Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker, which took six years to build (1921-1927). Two floors were added in 1956 to meet the demand for more space and the building to be extensively modified to suit the purpose of a modern Parliament. A new building has recently been added which facilitates smooth and efficient operations by working in conjunction with the original Parliament. The new Parliament building has more than 65,000 m² and its triangular shape allows optimal use of space. In addition to the adequate capacity for India's legislative needs, the installation features the latest communications technologies, including the COMPACT public address and voice alarm system. Information messages and possible alarms are distributed from the system's microphone stations and digital audio matrices to more than 2,600 5" and 8" ceiling loudspeakers and 15 W loudspeakers. Both the COMPACT control system and the loudspeakers are certified by the EN 54 standard.